Re: [gopher] Gophernicus 1.2-beta & virtual hosting

On 14.9.2011 12:00, Walter Vermeir wrote:

It seemed that Ubuntu does not use inetd.conf Than manual says

" If your system comes with something else than standard inetd make
install should have done the right thing already."

... but it not worked directly. I have installed xinetd and then run
 the installer again. And then it worked.

It might be that current Ubuntu doesn't come with inetd *at all* which
would explain the above. Anyway, apt-get installing either xinetd or
openbsd-inetd (which is what I use) should do the trick (as you noticed).

I was wondering way the default gophermap did not display the config
 path.

That default gophermap was just a quick hack really... It's not to be
trusted religiously.

That script assumes the config file is; /etc/xinetd.d/gopher But it
is; /etc/xinetd.d/gophernicus Is that relevant maybe?

Nope, that's not relevant to your problem. I can see your gopher root
which means the gopher server itself is workin just fine (including inetd).

you need to have a virtual host directory for your own hostname or
all of virtual hosting is disabled.

I could not find that in the documentation. If it is not there that
seems me useful to include it.

It's there, just incredibly badly written :-/.

"The primary vhost directory (set with the -h <HOSTNAME> option) must exist or virtualhosting will be disabled."

I should really rewrite that.

So, two ways to fix it: $ sudo mkdir /var/gopher/`hostname`

that is present. To be sure I have removed and created it again with
 the command above; no change.

That's weird because that's what your syslog complains about. Could you share us your relevant xinetd config? I mean /etc/xinetd.d/gophernicus (or whatever it was called).

Do you think like Brain indicated that the fact I use xinetd and not
 inetd could be the problem? - I have only one external ipadress.

That xinetd vs. inetd thing isn't the issue here, nor is the one external ip address.

I'm really at loss here.... :-(

- Kim