Re: [gopher] (no subject)

On 05/16/2011 12:14 PM, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
>> do anyone else observe 89.16.178.179, gopherproxy.org is accessing a
>> selector every minute for day in a row ? , seems like
>> someone is crawling through that proxy.
>
> That someone is probably a web robot. I've had a few go-rounds with the
> proprietor of gopherproxy.org when I temporarily blocked it for DOSing the
> Twitter->gopher gateway after causing it to exceed its rate limit.

Yeah, although I haven't blocked any HTTP to Gopher proxies (yet), I
consider it from time to time - I just don't think it's time to block
them yet. I will, however, at some point.

My thinking is this:

Gopher isn't something to *bring back*. It is simply (whether I am
endeared to it or not) a useful protocol, that went overlooked and was
marginalized by the dot-com bubble a decade ago.

Advertising blitzkriegs, etc., just don't fit well in the Gopher model.
Its utility is outstanding for serving files without kruft, although I'm
still waiting on the latest data from Vishnu to see how well we're
coming along with search technology - one of the keys to rebuilding
critical mass.

At this point, HTTP to Gopher proxies serve, affirmatively, to build
that critical mass, but there's no point in supporting, by porting to,
the gopher protocol if all that exists is the same ole same ole.

That's why A good percentage of my gopherholes are populated with
*unique content* that you can't get from me via HTTP - namely, a rather
large repository of 64bit Slackware packages.

Now, that sounds great, but for those of you who aren't fellow slackers,
I need to disclose that most slackers do things ourselves (Make our own
packages from source), so there isn't a truly great demand for [most] of
my packages. Some you can only get from me, and since pretty much
everyone uses Firefox, Iceweasel, or Icecat, they already have direct
access.

For the b0n3h34ds running Internet Exploder, they have, as an option at
this time, to browse my gopherhole via an HTTP proxy.

In the future, I intend to simply categorically block all HTTP to Gopher
proxies, not to be mean, but to encourage the use of either gopher
clients, or gopher capable clients.

I'm proud to say that I've even gotten flamed a couple of times for not
making the more unique parts of my respository available via HTTP.

I figure you can always use Lynx, in a pinch ;)

But for now... We're simply building awareness (people have short
memories), once we build demand, I'll close the HTTP door. I have no
idea when that will be. Maybe it will be like an Arnold movie when he
says, "You'll know when I give the signal".

Think of it as my way of contributing to our refoliation project :)

I know I've ranted a couple of times in chan #gopherproject about this a
few times, but Cameron, you're not there, so this may be the first time
you've heard it from me ;)

Thoughts, everyone?

- --
Bradley D. Thornton