Re: [gopher] Homes for the Gopher archive

On 2010-05-18 23:01, Florian Teply wrote:

I myself started (and am still somewhere midway i guess) to clean out the
archive. As i went through the archive, i've noticed quite some empty files,
most notably .gophermap an robots.txt which had the size of zero Bytes.

I noticed the very same thing, so the first thing I did was:

# find archive/ -type f -size 0 -exec rm -v "{}" \;

Followed by:

# find archive/ -type d -exec rm -v "{}" \;

In case you're wondering, the second removes emtpy directories only :-).

the way i also stumbled across some other files that are in my opinion bogus:
http GET requests that returned a 404 error.

There are also loads of gophermaps which only contain "3Error of some kind".

gopher i removed all of those. Next thing i'll try to do is restoring the
gophermap files where available to point to the mirror instead of the original
server. Could use some help there though. Any hints on that one, Kim maybe?

I was lazy... So I'm doing it one site at the time - one server hosts one archived site using Gophernicus with some extra command line switches, and a second site spiders the "live site" using the hosts-file to fix the IP address....

So no, I have no real answer to that yet. I do have the full archive (temporarily) here but without the original gophermaps.

gopher://gophernicus.org/1/archive_2007/gopher-arch/gopher/

- Kim