Re: [gopher] gopher++ (gopher1) protocol

On Monday 11 January 2010 12:52, Kim Holviala wrote:
> I was going to address that packet loosing thing too. A TCP packet is
> generally at least 1K in size. Why would a gopher++ client purposefully
> split the selector and the first header line into two TCP packets? They
> fit into one packet just fine, and the rest of the headers can come in
> separate TCP packets as after the first extra header the server will
> read headers until that empty line.

What do you know about that? Nothing. You don't control how the client
will prepare his packets. What about clients with very small MTU?

Relaying a protocol versionning on any additionnal timing is just wrong.
Forget about that.

> That breaks gopher0 which I was not willing to do. Extra lines don't.

What about adding some more <tab> chars to the first line? Gopher0 servers
read the selector until the first tab. Gopher+ servers read the selector
plus the first tab, to check wheter the tab is followed by a "+" char.
Why not adding yet another <tab>? This way, old gopher servers won't
break.
Just an idea.

> What's wrong with iconv(3)? Of course the server has to know the
> originating charset to do the conversion, but that's a _server_ problem,

Okay. Let's say I have a file which contains the text "текстовый файл".
Now, the client is asking for this file, expecting to get LATIN1 charset.
What do you do?

Best regards,
Mateusz Viste