Re: [gopher] changes to support for OverbiteFF 2.x and 3.0

> > 3.0 will become the Caps release, and will add full support for both
> > Caps-based navigation in menus and terminal documents, along with Caps
> > metadata in menus so you can browse server-provided information. 3.0 will
> > only support Fx 3.6 and 4.0 and browsers based on those versions (SeaMonkey
> > 2.1). 3.0 is unlikely to come out for awhile; I still need to do a lot of
> > infrastructure work and I'm being delayed by simultaneous work on TTYtter,
> > Classilla and my 10.4/PowerPC fork of Firefox 4. However, when it does
> > emerge, it is likely to be a very stable and long-lived branch as most
> > additions at that point will just be maintenance and small feature updates.
>
> Oh didnt know you where working on a 10.4 port also, I guess classilla and
> the 10.4 fork is totalt seperat builds, can you atleast reuse some of the
> code between them?

Very little code is in common anymore. Classilla was based on 1.3.1, which
is 2003-era code. Much of it has changed completely, even the underlying
NSPR and XPCOM libraries. Although 9.3 adds some 1.7 and 1.8-based layout
code, it's still mostly 1.3.1 with up-patches.

The 10.4 Fx4 port (which now looks like it will be the only PowerPC build
of Firefox 4 available, for Leopard or Tiger), on the other hand, is truly
Firefox 4. Other than some tweaks to get it to build and restoring much of
the 10.4 UI support, it's the same code. I'll probably add bug 572000 to it
as a local commit, however, even if Mozilla doesn't accept it (it looks
likely now that they won't given all the other problems with beta 7, but hope
springs eternal), and eventually write basic gopher support that people can
update with Overbite if they want.

> > I'm kind of doubtful I'll be adding Gopher+ to it unless there is a big
> > outcry.
> given gopher+ never saw much use, hardly a blip in the twisted maze of
> gopherspace, its absence is bearable imho.
> is there anyone on our lists that uses gopher+ for something that absloute
> cant be done without it ?

I'd be interested to hear myself. Kim? John?

-- The earth is like a tiny grain of sand, only a lot heavier and bigger. -----