Re: [gopher] Gopher and amateur radio

> > Very interesting.  I'm just getting into amateur radio myself, and
> > experimenting with digital modes is very much on my list of things
> > to try.  Are people running TCP over AX.25?  And where can I read about
> > KISS packet radio?
>
> John, packet radio isn't exactly dead, but it's not nearly as popular
> as it once was.  APRS is probably the most widespread implementation
> of packet radio right now.  TAPR (http://www.tapr.org) is still
> kicking about in the packet arena. The movement now is towards
> high-speed mesh networks (a Google search for HSMM will turn up loads
> of hits).  Also, there is a lot of activity in HF digital modes, esp.
> since all that's required now is a sound card, appropriate interface,
> and an HF rig.  Because of the limited bandwidth and lower S/N ratios
> on HF, throughput is rather limited to 300 baud or less (which makes
> gopher even more ideal in these situations).

So I guess this begs the question. I'm sure with stuff like MixW (which
is a pretty neat package) you can mimic a NIC and then run any Gopher
client or Firefox, etc.

But with simple AX.25, what would be the best way to do that? A server
that offers a line mode client?

-- Backup not found. Abort, Retry, Vomit, Panic, Write Resume File? -----------