Re: [gopher] Gopher++ scrapped & Internet Archive -style thingy

On 20.4.2010 15:45, Brian Koontz wrote:

To assume that every server out there is gopher++-compatible is a
stretch.  If anything, gopher++ is experimental.

Yes, of course.

Is there something
with gopher++ that makes your search non-backwards-compatible with
"legacy" gopher servers?

Let's forget the search for a while. This is the problem:

* I can add extensions to server side all I want and it won't break anything - I'm free to experiment with whatever I want

* I cannot add anything to the client side of the protocol or old but still running servers will break - my gopher++ enchanced Mosaic for example refused to browse quite a number of existing sites

Why would I add anything to server-side when I can't add anything client-side? I could add a little detection routine to the client, but that would make clients complicated and I don't want that (gopher has and should have all the brains on the server side).

- Kim