Re: [gopher] Gophernicus Server 0.6 released

On 12.4.2010 9:23, Mike Hebel wrote:

If it works on AIX it works on *ANYTHING*. Seriously, you can't find a
more fucked up Unix than AIX.

No argument here. I have quite a few friends who have some experience
with AIX.

I teach AIX... Of course, those who can, do, those who can't, teach. And those who can't teach, consult.

I consult AIX stuff too. :-)

Anyway, the first thing I say in my AIX courses is that AIX is a wonderful operating system (which is true), but forget *everything* you thought you knew about Unix because if you start doing things the Unix/POSIX way on AIX you'll break it. I think that AIX is the only Unix with a binary registry for all configurations - that drives Unixy people off the wall...

I wonder if it'll build on NetBSD Cobalt...

Worked fine on Linux running on D-Link's DNS-323 running Debian. I don't have my Raq 2 anymore - it was just too slow and had too little memory so I sold it.

* Full UTF-8 support with optional downconversion to US-ASCII

I lose geek points for not knowing what this means. ;-)

I have a bunch of comic book covers scanned (so I won't buy double copies - I've got a lousy memory). I wanted to serve those out with Gopher, but the names are full of UTF-8 chars like ÄÖÅÖÄÅÖ. I don't think I found any Gopher server which would have worked with those...

* Full IPv6 support

It's interesting to see that a server for one of the older protocols is
being developed to work with one of the newer ones still not fully
implemented everywhere.

I've got native IPv6 everywhere, even this company's got it's own /56 which I route to all workstations and servers here. I was just downloading *cough* something with bittorrent yesterday and noticed that about 20-30% of peers were on IPv6 which was surprising (Finnish stuff so 100% Finnish peers). Of course, I was the only one with *native* IPv6 - others were just using 6to4.

* Full CGI support

That in and of itself is just plain useful. But I thought Gopher
supported CGI out of the box so to speak or am I taking too much allergy
medicine?

Well, Gopher doesn't support CGI, but it's fairly easy to just implement the HTTP CGI spec on top of Gopher.

- Kim