Re: [gopher] Gophernicus Server 0.5 released

On 7.4.2010 0:30, Matjaž Mešnjak wrote:

I taught it would be possible to implement some of the features, not all
of them. I see now they are tightly connected to each other, its almost
impossible to implement just virtual hosts for example ...

Well, the ;vhost is something you never want to implement - it's not in any spec, it's just a fallback used by my server. A client should never fiddle with the selectors anyway - the server gives them to the client and the clients respects them.

Doing just vhosting is simple, just add one more printf to your client:

C: selector<TAB><TAB>GOPHER/++<CRLF>
C: Host: whatever.com<CRLF>
C: <CRLF>

My patch for Mosaic with the full set of headers was just maybe 30 lines, so it should be quite simple.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess I'll have to wait for the final
implementation of your server and the specification :-)

Final... *cough cough* :-). I think the spec is pretty much what I wrote in my previous email, and the server is about 90% finished now. Shouldn't be more than a month or so before I hit 1.0 and move on to clients.

But I will start
experimenting at least with some of your ideas before that.

Great.

- Kim