Re: [gopher] A Gopher noob and endless questions. ;-)

Mike Hebel wrote:
Kim Holviala wrote:
On 2010-04-07 18:16, Mike Hebel wrote:

And, of course, Gopher over TLS or
SSL has been proposed but not ever, to my knowledge, implemented.

I'm not really looking for secure Gopher but TLS/SSL would indeed rock.

TLS was one of the things I originally planned for Gophernicus Server, but I kinda dropped the idea because I didn't think anyone would be interested.

SSL (not TLS) is actually really simple with any inetd-compatible server; just run the daemon with stunnel instead of inetd. Done.

So how does Gopher deal with that? How does the client recognize there's a gopher protocol in the SSL stream?

Reading up on stunnel I'm now a little more confused. Though I now understand how you could do the Gopher http and make it https using stunnel. But unless you were using a local stunnel session......oh I'm a bonehead.

That's what you do isn't it? Use two stunnel sessions one at either end. You'd think I'd comprehend a name completely. *headdesk*

I really need to figure out why I can't have coffee any more...

--
Mike

Manamana!