Re: [gopher] A Gopher noob and endless questions. ;-)

Cameron Kaiser wrote:
Mike,

Nice. I'll add your site to the new gophers list, and V-2 will seed off of that. What would you like the display string to be?
The Terminal Core is good. (That's a FLCL reference for any anime fans out there.)

You could make a second one called Terminal Dogma and get the NGE ones too.
;-)

*grin* Right now I'm full up on domain names though and being one of the many unemployed I can't afford to get another name. But I do have 5 statics...hmm... ;-)

+ASK just describes a form, analogous to HTML <form>. You still have to have
something on the other end listening. I am pretty sure pygopherd will allow
a mole to receive +ASK arguments (bucktooth doesn't, but that's because I
don't support gopher+ yet). Your mole could stick something in that file,
but it would be better just to have the mole do the firewall gyrations or
what have you.

Given a choice I'd prefer not to have to do any firewall gyrations unless necessary. My firewall is nice and stable right now so I don't want to screw with it.

I'm assuming the term mole is for a back-end script that pygopherd would pass data to?

I'm still having a bit of trouble wrapping my head around +ASK and gophermap stuff in general. There doesn't seem to be a good step-by-step how-to out there but considering the clutter on the web finding anything Gopher related seems a bit difficult.

It also doesn't help that I'm very much a visual learner and have to interpolate text just to absorb data.

And, of course, Gopher over TLS or
SSL has been proposed but not ever, to my knowledge, implemented.
I'm not really looking for secure Gopher but TLS/SSL would indeed rock.

Adding that to the round tuit list :)

I have a lot of those right now...

Find a job...finish my custom sonic screwdriver by the 15th...finish setting up my BIND servers...empty and re-configure the garden outside...build my zoneminder server...figure out why my Dallas one-wire weather unit is reporting massively wrong temps...yeah...just a few. ;-)

--
Mike

Manamana!