Re: [gopher] Proposal for a gopher++ TITLE resource

On 2010-04-01 15:40, Cameron Kaiser wrote:

I think this is fine, except that I don't think there should be any
restriction about where the TITLE resource should occur. It may make
more sense for it to occur lower down on the menu:

1>  Back to the previous menu

    This is the title.<<  TITLE resource

    This is the text.

2>  Some more menu options.
3>  Some more menu options.

That's what my code did at first - umm... by accident. I then limited the TITLE to be the on the first line only.

The reason for the first line requirement was that streaming clients (like Mosaic) won't have to buffer lines waiting for the TITLE. Also a client wanting just the title could simply read one line out of the socket and close the connection.

Myself, I would probably simply have the client *both* print it as an
info text line (for consistent output), and then do whatever it wants to
do with it internally (put it in the window title bar, etc.). I haven't
looked at your code yet to see if this is already what you're doing, so
maybe you already are :)

Well, I'm taking the first TITLE and putting it inside <DT><H1>Title</H1> and totally ignoring the rest.

Hmm, maybe I'll try modifying the code so that it'll take the first TITLE and use it as the main page title, and then just print the rest as subtitles with <H2> or something.

Seems like this kind of interface could be extended to other kinds of
metadata, too.

That's true, there's a lot sideband metadata possibilities in the unused selector, host and port fields. But I didn't want to rock the boat too much now - the title is the one thing I'm missing the most.

- Kim