Re: [gopher] Ending type 0 transmissions with a dot or not?

> Just wondering... These are from the gopher RFC:
>
> ---
> The server responds with a block of text terminated by a
> period on a line by itself and closes the connection.
>
> Note:  Lines beginning with periods must be prepended with an extra
>       period to ensure that the transmission is not terminated early.
>       The client should strip extra periods at the beginning of the line.
> ---
>
> It seems that pygopherd doesn't terminate with a dot but bucktooth does,
> and so far I haven't found a client which would do both of the above.
> Firefox shows all the dots in the world, Overbite ends with a dot but
> doesn't follow the second rule and even UMN gopher shows me double-dots...
>
> I was going to implement the Gophernicus Server as per the spec... but
> now I'm not so sure. Adding the dot breaks a lot of things like
> downloading the patches I talked about yesterday... but not adding the
> dot is against the spec :-/.

As far as I am concerned, a client that would close the connection on a line
like

.Call me Ishmael.

is broken, which is why I did not implement dot-removal in Overbite on
anything but the last line. The RFC doesn't even agree with itself on
this, since only .<CRLF> should do that, so .Call me Ishmael. wouldn't
even match.

Furthermore,

Note:  The client should be prepared for the server closing the
       connection without sending the Lastline.  This allows the
       client to use fingerd servers.

This is specifically under TextFile Transaction, but pretty much every
client has this extrapolated for every other item type, since binary
itypes also require it.

My personal feeling is screw the dot and close the connection, and I'll
probably change Bucktooth to do that at some unspecified time.

-- When you win, nothing hurts. -- Joe Namath ---------------------------------