Re: [gopher] gopher++ (gopher1) protocol

On 2010-01-11 14:29, Mateusz Viste wrote:

You can't do any automated transcoding just like that. It's not that easy.

man 1 convert

ImageMagick handles image conversions just fine - I've used it before to see images I didn't have viewer support for. LibC iconv() handles charset conversions without any problems.

I agree that converting PDFs and videos is complicated, that's why the document said "SHOULD" for those.

The big problem about your whole transcoding stuff is that a transcoded
document is not the same document anymore.

No, it's not. What's wrong with that? The client can easily get the original resource if it so chooses (simply by not sending the Accept header).

> Say, that I create a PDF
document where most information is vector graphic. If the client ask for
us-ascii text, an automated transcoding program will simply drop all
things which are not bare text, and my PDF will look like crap.

True. But if a client asks for it to be converted to PNG it'll look just fine. Reading the manual it seems that very same convert(1) will convert PDFs to images.

[..]

I downloaded the first PDF I found from Google (2010 Form W-4) and simply tried this (without reading the manpages):

[kimmy@t61 Desktop]$ convert fw4.pdf fw4.png
[kimmy@t61 Desktop]$ echo $?
0
[kimmy@t61 Desktop]$ ls -la *png
-rw-r--r-- 1 kimmy users 64563 2010-01-11 14:43 fw4-0.png
-rw-r--r-- 1 kimmy users 51280 2010-01-11 14:43 fw4-1.png

Now that wasn't too hard? Definately easier than coding PDF support into the client. Now all the server has to do is to stitch those two images together (there might have been a convert option for that too).

That's why in my opinion, applying *any* automated transcoding is wrong.
If I want my document to be readable by C64 owners, I will write it in a
way that will allow that.

Except that, of course, you don't. Neither do I. We don't do it because we just don't care. A theoretical C=64 user will care, though, but that's his problem for not using the latest Firefox on a quad Xeon, right?

- Kim