Re: [gopher] gopher++ (gopher1) protocol

On 2010-01-24 12:42, Florian Teply wrote:

Something along those lines, even though not necessarily gopher++: on
gopher://gopher.teply.info/1/test
i've put up a very simple UTF-8 test menu. Mainly it was out of curiosity
whether or not it'll work in any way.

I tested that before with my own test files, but since you published a nice full set here are my results with the above URL:

Client		LC_CTYPE	Test 1	Test 2	Test 3	Test 4
FF 3.5		UTF-8		OK	Fail	OK	OK
FF 3.5		IS0-8859-1	OK	Fail	OK	Fail

Overbite	UTF-8		OK	OK	OK	OK
Overbite	ISO-8859-1	Fail	Fail	OK	OK

Lynx 2.8.8	UTF-8		OK	Fail	OK	Fail
Lynx 2.8.7	ISO-8859-1	Fail	Fail	OK	Fail

gopher 3.0.13	UTF-8		Fail	OK	OK	Fail
gopher 3.0.13	ISO-8859-1	Fail	OK	OK	Fail

... and the above results are exactly why I suggested server charset transcoding... I actually expected Overbite to Just Work(tm), but it seems that it only works when the local charset is UTF-8. Also, it's possible to make Lynx almost work by changing some charset options - the above stuff is run with pretty much default settings.

I finally got kgopherd to compile again after rwriting half of the code... but real life got in the way and progress has been slow. I should be able to get stuff up and running next week.

Also, that gopher++ "spec" was just a suggestion, not necessarily something I end up implementing. In fact, right now it seems that I'll do the protocol extension is a completely different (but still compatible) way...

- Kim