[gopher] Re: gopher and IPv6

On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 05:12:23PM -0800, Cameron Kaiser wrote:
> > > Does it properly report source addresses in the log file? I am
> > > encouraged to hear that it operates, however.
> > >
> > > Once my ISP offers me IPv6, I intend to do more testing with it.
> >
> > I run bucktooth (0.2.6) from openbsd-inetd dual-stack. I just checked,
> > and ipv6 source addresses are *not* correct: It always shows 0.0.0.0.
> > Maybe I have some time next week to see if I can solve this.
>
> That's what I figured would happen. If you submit me a patch, I'll check
> it in as experimental for the next version.

It appears to be a little more complicated then I thought. IPv6 support
in Perl is pretty bad[1]. I don't see a easy way to determine the
address family of the inherited socket, let alone properly unpack it for
the AF_INET6 case. And gethostbyaddr() is IPv4 only without an IP
agnostic counterpart in base.

As to tunnelbrokers, I've been using a tunnel from Hurricane Electric
(tunnelbroker.net). Tunnel setup might be slightly more difficult then
SIXXS, but registration is much faster.

[1]: http://www.personal.psu.edu/dvm105/blogs/ipv6/2008/07/perl-considered-harmful.html

Regards,
--