[gopher] Re: gopher and IPv6

> > > after some tries to enable public access to my home gopher reliably
> > > (read: without NAT and other evil stuff), i'd like to set up an IPv6
> > > gopher. But: i haven't yet managed to have any gopher daemon bind to an
> > > IPv6 port yet. What i tried so far is: GoFish and pygopherd.
> > > Anyone did this before? Or is there a gopher server that runs from
> > > xinetd? Have until now only tried standalone servers (the two named
> > > above).
> >
> > bucktooth will happily run in either environment. I haven't really tested
> > it in IPv6 however (grumbles at upstream).
> >
> Well, as far as i can tell right now, bucktooth happily serves gopher over
> IPv6 both on IPv6-only machines as well as on dual-stack boxes. Configuration
> of xinetd is a tad, umm, unintuitive as i had to find out.

Does it properly report source addresses in the log file? I am encouraged
to hear that it operates, however.

Once my ISP offers me IPv6, I intend to do more testing with it.

> > I was pretty sure there was a local veronica around, but I don't know where
> > it went. I could have sworn hal3000.cx had it, but Veronica-2 doesn't have
> > it and checking myself didn't come up with it.
>
> Umm, to be honest i didn't think of a local one...
> Was rather thinking along the lines of another public veronica indexing the
> whole gopherspace like the one at floodgap.

I think the local veronica *can* be configured for wider use. I have not
released my source for Veronica-2 mostly because it's still in flux; I'm
still working on parallel crawling (fun with database locks YAY!) and the
code is not, shall we say, a paragon of organization. I've been promising to
release it for years and I will, but when I'm satisfied with it :)

However, I seem to remember Chris saying that local-veronica could be made to
crawl other sites than its home one.

-- Eat healthy, stay fit, DIE ANYWAY! -----------------------------------------