[gopher] Multilingual Gopher Support (was Re: Gopherness)

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 1:09 PM, JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I propose that this "universal" communication files Item Type be Item Type "0" (due to all known Clients already understanding how to open, and print, this Item Type), and that the character set used in this "universal" Item Type be ASCII.   Thats all... no more, no less.

Okay, I understand now. Though let's save that discussion until after
we work out what is vs. what is not supported by existing clients, as
you suggested.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:27 PM, Roman Pavlov <webmaster@ankylym.ru> wrote:
> More testing results are welcome as well as sample text and menus in
> other languages and encodings.

Roman, I have tested your pages as well, albeit with different
results, which can be seen, along with further tests, on my test
server (I've also included screenshots of each result, just so we know
exactly what's being output by the client):

gopher://gopher.hughguiney.com/1/utf8/

The text files both worked in every scenario. The menus, however, only
worked with UTF-8 in Firefox using the Mozilla core Gopher handler
(rather than Overbite). The character sets in all other scenarios are
misinterpreted. Manually changing them with View > Character Encoding
> ... to the right ones made no difference, because the source code is
automatically escaped as Unicode internally before it reaches the
browser. In the case of Mozilla core, this is a percent-encoded
result, a la URIs (%20 etc). In the case of Overbite, this is a
numeric character reference, a la HTML (&#32; etc).

I'm not exactly sure why it happens. Perhaps Cameron can provide some
insight on this behavior.

On Tue, Aug 12, 2008 at 2:38 PM, Mate Nagy <k-zed@hactar.net> wrote:
>  pls note that (after manual setting) newest overbite handles both
> menus and text content perfectly :) (tested with both 8bit and utf-8
> menus)

What setting is this? I  have the latest Overbite and it doesn't seem
to have any configuration options. If you mean Firefox, it's curious
that we should get different results. What is your UA?