[gopher] Re: Establishment of .gopher TLD

"Sites hosted on a .gopher domain should not serve content via any other
protocol."

What's your reasoning for that? I mean, Gopher should be primary, but I
don't see an issue with, say, turning on the http access in pygopherd or
using some other proxy, or running sshd for remote administration, or such.

brian@pongonova.net wrote:
> OpenNIC is an alternative, open, democratic DNS that mirrors the ICANN
> namespace as well as provides namespaces for alternative TLDs.

Except ICANN's .biz, last I looked. This may have changed now that
PacRoot is dead, though.

Matthew Holevinski wrote:
 > Honestly I think that's a fabulous idea.
 > There's no reason gopher has to be restricted
 > to Gopher://.

Except that whatever:// is actually for the client only, so it knows if
it needs to send a gopher selectorm http's multitude of headers,
negotiate an ssh connection, or fire up Unreal Tournament for a
deathmatch ;)