[gopher] Re: Multilingual Gopher Support (was Re: Gopherness)

> I switched it to UTF-8 with BOM and although the BOM appears in FF2 =20
> (as a '?' at the start of the file), it now looks fine in lynx.
> The characters in question obviously weren't 7-bit ASCII, I had two =20
> '=C3=A9's on one line, and the output in lynx was that the links drawn =
=20
> didn't match the links that were highlighted when you pressed 'down', =20
> such that navigating the page produced erroneous drawing in the =20
> terminal.

I'm not surprised, Lynx does not have much history with non-7bit encodings.

> I have also since discovered that URLs such as /h/linguistics/yol=C5=8Bu/=
 =20
> are not requested correctly. No URL escaping of the unicode characters =
=20
> is performed, and ^K whatever that's supposed to mean: '/h/linguistics/=
=20
> yol^Ku' instead of  '/h/linguistics/yol%C5%8Bu/'.

You mean the client does not request them correctly, or the server does not
process the request correctly? I would probably call 8-bit Gopher handling
"undefined." However, if Unicode characters (or any non 7-bit entity) were
in a gopher selector, I don't think URL encoding them is really in the spir=
it
of the RFC either.

--=20
------------------------------------ personal: http://www.cameronkaiser.com=