[gopher] Re: update on #388195

> > At the risk of ruining all the fun lately over new protocol discussions ;-),
> > I have a progress report on the #388195 killer (i.e., the JavaScript
> > reimplementation of Gopher in Mozilla Core). This has taken longer than I

>  someone is doing something productive! whee!...

Well, I'm doing *something*, anyway. We can argue over the productive
part ;-)

> > The idea is that OverbiteFF will continue to exist in parallel with the
> > special features and different appearance, plus the features vetoed by the
> > Mozilla muckymucks, so that "pro" Gopher users can get these features back.
> > But at least this will preserve Gopher support for casual users.

>  generally what features do you expect to be missing?

The stylesheets and icons are definitely toast, because I know that they
will want everything integrated into the application/http-index-format style
and while I don't like the implementation it makes sense from an application
unity point of view. The root menu icon is, as a consequence, also gone, and
if I reimplement that as XUL instead of HTML in a future version I'll have to
see if they'll let me sneak that in.

So, if you like the enhanced appearance of OverbiteFF (and I do, because it's
very nice to graphically see all the item types again, plus styled display
strings), you'll have to have the add-on installed to get it.

I'm pretty sure that if they let me get around the port != 70 problem with
the whitelist, then things like CSO/ph *will* be in the default support. If
they don't, there's no reason for it being there (port 105), so it will be
removed and made OverbiteFF only.

-- The Army needs leaders the way a foot needs a big toe. -- Bill Murray ------