From: Cameron Kaiser <spectre@floodgap.com>
Subject: [gopher] meta: item types, etc.
To: gopher@complete.org
Date: Friday, July 4, 2008, 6:16 PM

I've been having back-channel discussions with gopher wranglers who note
that
the item types they have selected for their content, while working in Mozilla
due to content sniffing, don't work in Overbite which rigidly enforces its
particular internal set (all others being seen as application/octet-stream).

Although I made some token expansion with the p and d item types, at some
point there is going to need to be an expanded and formalized item type and
MIME type mapping list maintained by a central authority or this problem is
going to come up again. I think it is especially important now given that
there are others looking at creating their own particular clients, since it
would be very confusing for users to have clashing item types between apps.

This is something I don't mind being a point person and clearinghouse for,
but that aside, a formalized process for this needs to be devised.

-- Who are you going to believe, me or your own eyes? -- Groucho Marx ---------