[gopher] Re: BRING THE GOPHER BACK

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 11:32:00 -0800 (PST)
JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> You may find most of what you are seeking already on Gopher Jewels 2
>   gopher://home.jumpjet.info/11\Gopher_Jewels_2
>
>   As far as Gopher dying/rising...
>   Educational/Government sources are dying,
>   Other sources are stable.
>
>   A quick look over GJ2 will show that the real problem with Gopher is the lack of content originating on Gopher.  Most of the rarely appearing "new" content is really just feeds from an HTTP (Web) source.

I might point out that some are from ftp sources and that really if the info is available only from HTTP then to grab it there and put it onto gopher doesnt make it invalid in gopher. Information is information protocols are ways to diseminate it via the particular server.
>From whence it came originally shouldn't be our focus IMO, rather that it is there. So along that line what does anyone want? For me I put what I need and want and added things others asked for, but then to feel well, I can get this on the web anyhow, your missing one point in that the overhead when viewed in gopher is far less than a web page. Also
if your seeking more new gopher only info, you would have to have a greater or more interested gopher community and thats really what one would need to make some great gopher "come back". These threads and discusions are doing that or at least occasionally testing the waters of a need. Do we need gopher? Need? ... no we don't need anything other than food water and shelter (shelter optional), do we want gopher?
I do, I like it's simplicity, so I have gopher servers and all that goes with that. If you build it they will come, or will they?
It was said we need IRC we have that as you stated,
we also have a talker
telnet hal3000.cx 7000
we have a MUD too
telnet hal3000.cx 4000
The thing is the community is small so the content is limited, and past that everything else either all ready is there or could be if it was wanted.
With that said I myself haven't had the time since early summer to do much but I hope to have more time available for more content larger server hd space and some new features.
Ohh and scripts for weather and such are simple cron jobs to ftp or
lynx -dump, fetch, curl or a bash script which does. Maybe just more generic scripting examples would be wanted? Or does someone have a specific question about how to do something?
Happy gophering
Chris

--
Join FSF as an Associate Member at: