[gopher] Re: Problem with SiMpLeMaChInEs

JumpJet Mailbox <jumpjetinfo@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Yes, testing has confirmed that it is indeed a Port 70 issue.  This is
> now preventing computer platforms using either Windows or Pure DOS (and
> I suspect Atari, Acorn, and Amiga) from accessing your Server.

Well, I'm not so sure it's a Winderz problem.  I just pulled Simple up
on Firefox-2.0.0.5 on XP-Pro/SP2  without any issues.  Below are the
browser specifics:

 Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.1; en-US; rv:1.8.1.5)
 Gecko/20070713 Firefox/2.0.0.5

I don't have any other Windows versions to test.  Maybe it's a Windows
Firewall issue, though I don't have any unusual exceptions in mine.

> Is there any vital reason why you had to move the server away from
> Port 70, and is there any compelling reason why you could not return it
> to Port 70?

I'd rather not use a privileged port because the server then needs to be
run by root and is possibly more susceptible to security breaches.  I
think this is a pretty common strategy with other network services, ie.
NATing 80 to 8000 for web servers.

-Jeff