[gopher] Re: PyGopherd and Gopher+

On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 10:46:43AM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 31, 2005 at 09:56:42AM -0600, Benn Newman wrote:
> Hmm, who are all these client people? ;-)
Jeff P., the developed for GopherJ. :)
> In general, let me say that after implementing at least part of
> Gopher+ in PyGopherd, I've come to the conclusion that it isn't very
> "Gophery".  It's rather complex in some cases and there are a lot of
> special cases.
Bah! UMN said it was Gophery, so there.
> PyGopherd doesn't provide any automated support for multiple views of
> a single file like UMN Gopherd did, because this feature was broken in
> every way I could see it.  UMN gopher client didn't handle it well,
> and things were even worse for gopher0 clients, who generally didn't
> get offered any option.
>
> That said, you can probably specify a custom +VIEWS block using the
> PyGopherd general method for specifying custom Gopher+ blocks, but I
> have never tested that.
That would work if you didn't feel like changing the files size everytime
you edited it.
> You could create a .admin file in the directory, I think.  (Again,
> untested, but that should do the trick.)
You can, but that replaces the other information, like the last modified date.
> > PyGopherd also defines the wrong item type for sounds, if you read
> > the Gopher+ spe, it is not s, this is also incorrect in the UMN
> > curses client.
>
> It does the correct thing according to gopherd(8).  As far as I can
> tell, nobody actually follows what the Gopher+ chapter says on that,
I do. :)

Johm: I don't know how we call you our leader! *sobs* ;)
(By the way, quux.org's DN seems to be broken.)
--
Benn Newman | newmanbe@sdf.lonestar.org | gopher://igneous-rock.homeunix.net
Wisconsin Association of Gopher Operators