[gopher] Re: Antwort: Re: finally i find other gopherfans... (gn maintainer)

>=20
> Timm Murray <hardburn@runbox.com> writes:
>=20
> > I'm a developer for the Everything Over Freenet (EOF) project.  We basi=
cally=20
> > take other protocols (like SMTP, POP3, whatever) and make them work ove=
r=20
> > freenet (see freenetproject.org if you're unfamiler with Freenet).=20=
=20
> > Currently, I'm working on some of the core functionality of EOF, but af=
ter=20
> > that, a Gopher EOF servlet is quite doable.
>=20
> That sounds like one of the neatest projects I've heard of in quite
> awhile!  I tried freenet awhile back and it was so slow and klunky I
> didn't really use it for very long.  I hope it is doing better these
> days and that the EOF project works well.  I think that Gopher would
> be an excellent way to browse keyindexes, just from a client perspective.

Freenet is still slow and klunky (the 0.3 network totally sucked).  The 0.4=
 network (which is unstable in the same way that odd-minor-numbered Linux k=
ernels are unstable) is focused on getting reliability of the routing up.  =
These changes will eventually be solidified into the 0.5 version (which is =
stable--well, more like slightly-less unstable :) Everyone is crossing thei=
r fingers that the new version of the network won't suck.  Fortunatly, simu=
lations show we have a good reason for optimism, but it still remains to be=
 seen.

Anyway, though Freenet already has an HTTP gateway into the network, I thin=
k a Gopher gateway would be much more natural, as Freenet subspaces (an are=
a of Freenet where only someone who knows the private encryption key can in=
sert into) are already in a heiarchy.  Additionaly, Freenet already stores =
MIME types, so there isn't as much fooling around trying to figure out whic=
h Gopher type to send back to the client (which, in my small experiance in =
writing a Perl gopher server, takes up the largest portion of the code).