[gopher] Re: General Gopher question, from a Corporal

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 12:13:52PM -0800, butcher wrote:

> WARNING: NEW TO LIST
>
> Sorry if this is off your topic, but it is Gopher+ related.
> I have been looking for a system to offer about 100,000+
> files on the Internet - either in gopher, some sort of
> mysql/php deal, or even a testosterone injected ftp.  The
> basic requirements are:
>
> * The system will read the directory structure for the files.
> I don't want to have to "upload" each file.
>
> * Full text description of each file
>
> * Category hierarchy and ability to move the files (and the
> descriptors) with them from category to category
>
> * Top downloads and new files.
>
> * Maybe a rating system, but this is getting a little greedy
> I think.
>
> It seems like starting with Gopher makes sense, but I haven't
> seen a Gopher system that does this.  Could it be that this
> is exactly what this list is all about?
>
> I am glad I found this list, and hope I can contibute
> something.

Most gopher server code you see is pretty file system dependent.

Long ago I implemented an interface to the LEGI-SLATE system using
oracle, perl with lots of sql queries.

It was not easy.

You'd be better off looking at other alternatives.  You don't mention
your level of expertise, so I can't make a pinpoint recommendation.

One interesting thing you might want to consider is the TUX web/ftp
server.

  http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/tux/

--
Paul Lindner    lindner@inuus.com   ||||| | | | |  |  |  |   |   |