[gopher] New client announcement (#2)

Well, I guess it's a good night on this list for new software, so here
goes.  I've been working on a gopher client recently, and the software
is to the point of needing some testing and feedback given those
testers don't have their expectations too high.  This software is
released under the GNU General Public License.

The program is called the FORG.  It's available at
http://opop.nols.com/proggie/forg-0.03.tar.gz

If I had a stable gopher server myself, I would also post a gopher
link, but alas, it isn't so.

It is written in Python, and uses both Tkinter and Pmw.  Many people
will already have python and Tkinter installed, but some may need
Pmw.  See the README file for details on how to get a hold of it, and
how to install it once you've gotten it.

>From the README, here is the list of FORG's features as of now:

Everything listed here actually does work, well at least most of the
time.  Please see the BUGS file to find out about what doesn't work.

- Ability to load other programs with different file formats.
  I.e. this program does not interpret HTML, so you may want to
  associate .html files with mozilla, so it will be launched upon
  saving a .html file.
- Full caching of directories and files
- Searching supported.  (Tested against gopher.floodgap.com's
  Veronica, but of course)
- Bookmark support.  (Currently there is no support for subfolders of
  bookmarks though)
- Directories are searchable by name.
- Statistics on size of cache, number of files in the cache, and
  number of documents in the queue.
- Ability to save files and directories.  (Note: when directories are
  saved, the protocol information that the server sent is what is
  saved to disk...for now)
- Right click context menus on all items providing all available
  information on a resource.  (If the server supports Gopher+)
- Between 0 and 100% complete implementation of Gopher *AND*
  Gopher+!!! :)
- Managerspeak.  This program leverages automatic internet data
  retrieval and storaging technologies for quasi-reliable interlocked handshake
  protocol interaction, allowing open-ended failsafe solutions to be
  developed in the realm of...oh whatever.

Please email me with information on anything that the program does
that you don't think it should do.

Happy gophering.
--
David Allen