Re: Ask Help

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 17, 2023 at 07:47:16AM +0700, Budi wrote:
> How can I get binary release already compiled, not the source like on
> this Gitlab ?

I am not quite sure I understand your question correctly…

Your Debian(-based) distribution comes with binary packages for its
releases. A bunch of non-Debian-based distributions have it as an
optional package available as well, but version and support may vary
greatly.

There is a PPA for Ubuntu I think, but that is not really intended to
be used by endusers and in general it isn't a good idea to install a
version of apt that didn't come from your distro and is build for this
distros release as QA is done only on the version shipped with it.

If you want to test a newer version of apt, you are far better of using
a chroot (based on e.g. Debian unstable) than to trying to pull apt from
unstable (or another binary release) into another release.

As upstream we certainly don't provide binary releases for individual
distributions nor are we building a "universal" binary for them all or
even flatpak/snap/AppImage/… it. APT is too tightly integrated with
a distribution (release) to make that a good idea in general.

So, in a very layman comparison, apt isn't like e.g. firefox, its more
like the kernel or libc – you won't find binary releases decoupled from
a distro for those either.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies