Re: Install profiles

Hi,

On 16.06.23 22:29, David Kalnischkies wrote:

The topic of "conditional dependencies" comes up once in a while, and
that is basically how this came up as well – as a pipe dream. I was
somewhat surprised Julian would actually go and post it seriously.

The things you usually want to express with those are roughly:

* if X, do not install foo (aka: bar recommends foo for printing, if
   machine can't print, don't install it)

* if X do also install foo (e.g. install firefox-l10n-de if firefox
   is installed and user wants german language packs)

* make a "clever" choice for virtual package rather than assuming the
   "real | virtual" can always list the best 'real' for everyone
   (e.g. different reals for different desktop environments)

All of these could be done with "negative" packages, even today.

Recommends: foo-print | no-printing

Recommends: firefox-l10n-de | no-task-german

Recommends: gnome-terminal | no-gnome,
 kde-terminal | no-kde,
 lxde-terminal | no-lxde

The reason we don't do that is that it creates a lot of bloat in the package list and all of these would show up in the package managers.

So, having a less annoying way to do negation would solve most of these problems -- are there any it doesn't solve?

   Simon