Re: debugging apt-get

Allow me to come back to this question: What determines what is considered a "candidate", and what constraints exist around the concept ? Why do I get an installation error when trying to install a package that depends on an older (as in: not latest) version of a prerequisite package ?

On 2022-10-15 15:24, Stefan Seefeld wrote:

I think I'm still missing or misunderstanding something very fundamental here. To go back to the more schematic names and versions:

My repo provides versions 1, 2, and 3 of a package "Y". I want to install a package "X", which depends on version 2 of package "Y". Yet, when I try to install it, apt-get refuses as version 2 is not considered a "candidate". Is this description accurate ? Why is that ? If "X" lists "y=2" as explicit dependency, why is that version 2 not considered a "candidate" ?

Thanks,

Stefan

null