apt sometimes fails with 'getline (12: Cannot allocate memory)'

Hello!

We have been observing an issue on alpha for since the beginning of September where an
"apt-get update" in sbuild would fails with 'getline (12: Cannot allocate memory)' [1]:

> Get:1 http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports unstable InRelease [24.2 kB]
> Get:2 http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports unreleased InRelease [24.0 kB]
> Get:3 http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable InRelease [165 kB]
> Get:4 http://incoming.debian.org/debian-buildd buildd-unstable InRelease [39.7 kB]
> Get:5 http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd unstable InRelease [41.2 kB]
> Get:6 http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports unreleased/main alpha Packages [113 kB]
> Get:7 http://ftp.debian.org/debian unstable/main Sources [9272 kB]
> Get:8 http://incoming.debian.org/debian-buildd buildd-unstable/main Sources [90.8 kB]
> Get:9 http://incoming.ports.debian.org/buildd unstable/main alpha Packages [62.9 kB]
> Reading package lists...
> E: Could not read from /var/lib/apt/lists/partial/ftp.ports.debian.org_debian-ports_dists_unstable_InRelease - getline (12: Cannot allocate memory)
> E: The repository 'http://ftp.ports.debian.org/debian-ports unstable InRelease' provides only weak security information.

After that, the resolver is unable to find any packages and hence install the build dependencies
which results the build to fail. This issue occurs just sometimes and so far has only been observed
on alpha.

Does anyone have a clue what could be the problem?

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz