Re: First Packaging Con 2021

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 11, 2021 at 09:06:12AM +0200, Wolf Vollprecht wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> we're organizing a conference about software package management:
> https://packaging-con.org/
>
> It's the first time that this event happens: we are trying to bring
> together many different package management communities, compare approaches,
> share lessons learned, etc.
>
> It would be great to see people from the APT community there -- and maybe
> even a talk?! The call for presentations ends on August 31.
>
> Please let me know if you have any questions or ideas for the conference!

The value of a conference lies in being together in one place, and
having informal chats; not in talks. Talks serve two purposes:

1. introduction, to introduce yourself (your face) to the audience
   so they can find you afterwards
2. filler, to attend when you can't find anybody to talk to

For an online conference, you don't need either, because 1. your
face doesn't matter, and 2. you're at home anyway, there are better
fillers.

Ergo, online conferences are an exercise in futility.

If you want to exchange ideas, share papers, and have discussion
periods, but don't waste peoples' time with real-time talks, everyone
has different speed of comprehension.
ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en