Re: apt_preferences: can one invert the Package: match?

On Mon, Jun 28, 2021 at 02:10:58PM +0200, Christoph Anton Mitterer wrote:
> Not sure if I understand it correctly, but I think what I'd actually
> really want is something like:
>
> > Explanation: Disable non-free packages except the ones listed below.
> > Package: ! intel-microcode unrar
> > Pin: release c=non-free
> > Pin-Priority: -1
>
> Where the ! would indicate that anything is matched except the ones
> following.

Eventually you'll be able to use

    Package: ?not?or(?exact-name(intel-microcode),?exact-name(unrar))

aka
    Package: !(?exact-name(intel-microcode) | ?exact-name(unrar))

to do this.

Technical reasons prevented patterns from being compiled during the
parsing of preferences files, that needs some work to identify the
safe subsets that can be allowed in there.

Creating more ad-hoc syntax that even overlaps seems like a bad
choice right now, we should focus on getting patterns to work.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en