Re: Regarding ideas to replace gpgv with sqv

Hello,

On 02/02/2021 13:38, Andrej Shadura wrote:
Hello,

I do not want to replace gpgv with sqv, but rather directly link to
sequioa from the C++ code.
The idea for sqv originated from dkg in this bug report:

As I understand it, dkg approached the gpg developers about various
improvements to gpgv's interface, which he thought would be useful to
Debian, but the gpg developers responded that gpgv's API is frozen.
Hence his request to the hopenpgp developers to create a better tool.
I just wanted to chime in and note there’s also interest in doing some
work to replace gpgv in apt at Collabora, for the Apertis project. The
reason here is that we want to get rid of GnuPG as a whole in the base
system.

We will have to work on this regardless of whether a decision is taken
or not upstream, since our situation with GnuPG is quite bad (we have to
ship an old GnuPG 1 in the target images because of licensing issues),
but it’d be best if that work was co-ordinated with the upstream and
other interested parties.

During the research to replace GnuPG in Apertis, I found that 2 projects can fit our needs: Sequoia and RNP[1].

The latter is wrote in C++, and is/will be used in Thunderbird to provide encrypted or signed emails [2].

Could it fit the Debian requirements to replace gpgv?
Is there any drawbacks from using it?

Regards,

Frédéric Danis

[1] https://github.com/rnpgp/rnp