Bug#968148: /usr/bin/apt-key: Suggestion for manpage and Warning
- To: email@example.com
- Cc: Vincent van Adrighem <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Subject: Bug#968148: /usr/bin/apt-key: Suggestion for manpage and Warning
- From: Julian Gilbey <email@example.com>
- Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2021 12:42:01 +0000
- Message-id: <[🔎] YBf3GWO9qYlIDlIv@d-and-j.net>
- Reply-to: Julian Gilbey <firstname.lastname@example.org>, email@example.com
- In-reply-to: <X+z1qgx9PCSghOEK@d-and-j.net>
- References: <CAGHZ3h2v8s15AZL9JWpN3-6E8g4ujLmXRgB5-KJBrkSXWRfirstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com> <CAGHZ3h2v8s15AZL9JWpN3-6E8g4ujLmXRgB5-KJBrkSXWRfirstname.lastname@example.org> <X+z1qgx9PCSghOEK@d-and-j.net> <CAGHZ3h2v8s15AZL9JWpN3-6E8g4ujLmXRgB5-KJBrkSXWRemail@example.com>
On Wed, Dec 30, 2020 at 09:48:26PM +0000, Julian Gilbey wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 03, 2020 at 09:33:07AM +0200, Vincent van Adrighem wrote:
> > Package: apt
> > Followup-For: Bug #968148
> > Dear Maintainer,
> > Replacing the command is not what we want to achieve here, but a few
> > changes in the documentation would go a long way in resolving this.
> Dear Maintainers,
> I'd like to second this: I wanted to add a local key, and could not
> find out how to do so now that apt-key is deprecated. I looked in
> apt-secure(8), but the /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d/ directory is not even
> In the end, with some web searching, the only reference I found to the
> "correct" way to do it was this bug report!
> Please do update the manpages for apt-key and apt-secure in the way
> that Vincent has suggested - ideally, in time for the bullseye freeze,
> so that it is in the upcoming Debian stable. This makes it obvious
> what to do instead of using apt-key: "just add/remove GPG keys to/from
> the directory /etc/apt/trusted.gpg.d as desired".
> Best wishes,
I just stumbled upon an "Ask Ubuntu" discussion, which has a very
clear explanation of (at least some of) the reasons for the
deprecation of apt-key and what to do instead:
Logging it here in the hope that it will be of use to others.