Apt Python API and no-recommends

Howdy Apt team, and especially Apt-Python folks,

Over in R land, Inaki (CC'ed) and I have been experimenting with a way to
marshall calls from the _application's own package manager_ (which for R is
install.packages() relying on a very robust system supported by the CRAN
network of mirrors, with more than a few little details actually modeled on
Debian but I digress) to apt (and to dnf/yum over in rpm land).

Inaki has wired up 'bspm' [1] --- some nice Python code around dbus which
calls into the apt API via python-apt. (I had worked with the API from the
C++ side a few years earlier via RcppAPT [2] so I know a little about the
API.)

And the little I know makes me worried the answer to my question may be
'nope': can we (at the level of 'bspm') get the equivalent behavior triggered
by adding '--no-install-recommend' to (command-line) apt?  I know how to via
a config file (as we for example do in a container [3])

Case in point is a quick command-line helper [4] where we enable bspm on the
fly and where setting the option below /etc is a little tricky because of the
implied root use.

Thanks in advance for any pointers. CCs most welcome as I am not subscribed
to the list.

Cheers, Dirk

[1] https://github.com/Enchufa2/bspm
[2] https://github.com/eddelbuettel/rcppapt