Re: Packages "kept back" because a package needs to be removed

On Fri, Jun 12, 2020 at 12:10:53PM +0200, R. Diez wrote:
>   sudo apt-get upgrade --with-new-pkgs
>
> I was then informed that some LibreOffice packages were "kept back". As far
[…]
> I am guessing that removing a package […] makes APT unhappy.

That is quite literally the job of "upgrade", quoting the manpage:
| under no circumstances are currently installed packages removed

If you want that (which is of course no longer an action which can be
safely done even fully automated, as only a human can decide in the
general case if a package contains vital content or is cruft and can
really be removed – as that can also vary between humans & usecases…),
you need "full-upgrade" which is allowed to remove packages
(and to install new packages).

(the "apt-get" manpage speaks of "dist-upgrade", but I think you will be
better served by the terminology used by "apt", which btw defaults to
installing new packages in upgrade unlike apt-get).

Best regards

David Kalnischkies