Re: Deprecating regex/fnmatch fallback for package arguments, and 1.9.6 highlights

Hi,

On Wed, 15 Jan 2020 at 23:11, Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> wrote:
> Starting with APT 2.0 (1.9.6 in experimental), the apt(8) binary will
> not try to interpret package names passed on the command-line as regular
> expressions or fnmatch() style patterns. Future versions of apt-get(8)
> and apt-cache(8) will follow that change, following the release of bullseye.

Thanks. I’ve been bitten by this a couple of times when a package name
was all of a sudden interpreted as a pattern, but OTOH when I wanted a
pattern I never could get it right from the first time, I guess
because it was falling back to a different syntax than I expected :) I
would be great to have an easy way to explicitly enable fnmatch
patterns since these are guess what more users expect to see/use, what
do you think?

--
Cheers,
  Andrej