Re: building and distributing binary out-of-tree Linux kernel module packages within debian

Hi Daniel,

On 10/09/2019 03.31, Daniel Kahn Gillmor wrote:
> The upstream author of wireguard (Jason Donenfeld,
> https://wireguard.com/, in Cc here) and i were talking about the
> potential of building and distributing (within debian) a binary package
> for the wireguard linux kernel module.  Currently, debian users
> typically install the kernel module with dkms, but i'd like to
> streamline that, at least for common administrators.

The infrastructure we used for the src:nvidia-graphics-modules package
is still available in
https://salsa.debian.org/nvidia-team/nvidia-graphics-modules
We used it to build pre-compiled kernel module packages from the
nvidia-kernel-source package together with corresponding metapackages.
It was discontinued due to license unclarities for distributing prebuilt
modules combining non-free blobs with Linux code.

The packaging should be quite generic and easy to adapt to other -source
packages (but not -dkms packages) (and if you are interested, I think I
have some more generic branches laying around somewhere - I used it
locally for pre-built fglrx and virtualbox module packages, too).

Andreas