Re: Debian Apt Team

Hi,

On Fri, Dec 20, 2019 at 08:16:21PM +0100, lisa.carranquerios@free.fr wrote:
> Would you now more about this inheritance of "deity" name ?

Nobody of the original team (and a few more in between) is around here
to answer that in full detail, but what can be deducted from mailinglist
posts is that the project to write a package manager to improve/replace
upon dpkg was first nicknamed "deity" and got eventually a mailinglist
to coordinate work.

The name was eventually changed based on many and long discussions, the
final push being [0] confirming the hunt for a new name which ended in
the announcement of a new name (and release) of the first version of APT
(which was one of the many suggestions given in this thread).

The already established resources of the project (which was roughly
a year old by then already) kept the nickname. While other things
perished over time (like switching between multiple version control
systems, the plans for a GUI which apt is just a console demo for,
replacing dpkg, …) the mailing list remained and so the name stuck.

By now some (in particular me) like to play with the words: Like being
a follower of supercow, praying to deity@ to be saved from dependency
hell or that as a perk for maintaining apt you will get many mails¹
starting with "Dear deity".

[0] https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/1998/02/msg01562.html
¹ sadly, it tends to be spam.

Debian fun fact: There are other projects using old names for resources.
Salsa admins are e.g. hanging out in #alioth, the name of salsas
predecessor. Or release teams britney performing testing transitions.
Old habits die hard.

> Furthermore, is this mailing list used to post questions about package
> management or is it more on the dedicated channel ?

In general, yes. There are specific mailinglists for specific tools e.g.
dpkg or aptitude, but one of the benefits of being called "deity@"
instead of e.g. "debian-apt@" is that we can act as a sort of catch-all
for everything related to package management which isn't entirely
related to one specific package manager (and most of them are apt-based
anyhow).

It doesn't matter that much though as they are all low-traffic lists,
unlike e.g. debian-devel@ which tends to see more mails per day than we
here per month, so getting it right on the first try and keeping it
focused (whatever that means for d-d@) is far more important there than
it is here.

Another option is as Julian already mentioned our #debian-apt IRC
channel where questions can probably be answered faster than on
a mailing list.

In either case, reply times in this time of year are likely to be
abyssal (at least in my case), so I will wish happy festive days and
new year to whom it applies & best regards

David Kalnischkies