Re: APT repository tracking feature

On Tue, Jul 09, 2019 at 01:53:33PM +0200, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> Hi,
>
> it was recently pointed out to me as part of libsolv discussions,
> that RPM systems do not do upgrades between different repositories.
>
> I'm thinking it might make sense for us to do something similar;
> record the origin of a package and only allow candidates to come
> from that origin (while it's present), and other origins it declares
> as allowed.
>
> This would remove a lot of pinning needs I suppose. Say you install
> Debian and add a third party repository, the new third-party repo
> cannot upgrade any package from the Debian repository unless you
> tell apt to do that.

"cannot" might be a bit too strong. Given a new solver, I believe
the goal should be to pick the upgrade version from the same repository
group as the installed one, if possible. This means you get candidates
ordered by repository group, basically.

Then, if the solver can't find a solution in there, apt could,
as part of it's usual listing show a new list:

	The following packages changed their origin:
		libfoo (from meow PPA to moo PPA)

This is the behavior I think we actually want: If there is a
potentially dangerous change (like my meow PPA adds meowing to
libfoo, and the moo PPA can only moo; so I loose functionality),
I want to be prompted about that.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en