Re: apt-listbugs and APT team

On Sun, 25 Nov 2018 19:16:10 +0100 David Kalnischkies wrote:

[...]
> tl;dr: Please reply on deity@lists.debian.org & Francesco only.

OK.

> On Fri, Nov 16, 2018 at 12:25:00AM +0100, Francesco Poli wrote:
> > Well, but the LICENSE file should still be a correct summary of the
> > debian/copyright file: that's why I was assuming they should be two
>
> The LICENSE file of a repository tends to be the text of whatever the
> "default" license the project is… github, gitlab/salsa use that in their
> overview, compare:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt-transport-tor says "GNU GPLv2"
> https://salsa.debian.org/apt-team/apt says "LICENSE"
> https://salsa.debian.org/frx-guest/apt-listbugs says "No License. All rights reserved"
>
> debian/copyright is far more detailed in my view; interesting if you
> need that detail, but overkill if you need a quick overview.

Well, but I am under the impression that the "default license" one
is an oversimplified point of view.
I mean: salsa (gitlab, actually) will assume the "default license"
for your project is GPL-2, just because you have a COPYING file
which contains the text of the GNU GPL v2.
Is this the case?
What if the text is there just because GPL-2 applies to a single
shell script (linked with nothing else) and the rest of the project
(maybe written in Python) is under Expat?
Will salsa be confused?

Is it perhaps better, if salsa just links "LICENSE" to a file that correctly
describes the licensing status of the project (i.e.: a copy of the
debian/copyright file)?

[...]
> > If the maintainer field is set to <deity@l.d.o>, then I would
> > obviously need to subscribe to that list, and the e-mail traffic
> > related to apt-listbugs would be intermingled with the rest of
> > the messages directed there. I am not sure I can afford such an
> > increase in my incoming e-mail traffic... Not in the short term, at
> > least...
> >
> > Other than that, what else could formally show the moving of
> > apt-listbugs under the APT umbrella?
>
> We can do all sorts of things, no need to do everything at once or at
> all… aptitude e.g. is in the apt-team namespace on salsa, but they don't
> have deity@ as maintainer.
[...]

I am honestly undecided: what do others think?
Does anyone have a practical proposal to outline?

Please let me know, and thank you so much for the offer,
whatever the outcome!

--
 http://www.inventati.org/frx/
 There's not a second to spare! To the laboratory!