Re: RFC: A new approach to autoremoval

On Wed, Feb 14, 2018 at 10:01:40AM +0100, Julian Andres Klode wrote:
> # Automatic autoremoval

I have to say, I dislike packages being removed in a dist-upgrade (or in
any command really) as it forces me to look up NOW if that is okay
because its some sort of empty transitional package now, if its
a transitional package, but my special snowflake system still needs it
to function (e.g. all dependencies have learned to type "bar" instead of
"foo", but my fingers haven't yet) or if this is due to a conflict and
I need to get used to a new way of doing something. Currently I can be
sure that a remove is due to a conflict… (sadly, some of those
conflicts are artificial for spring-cleaning proposes and would belong
in one of the first two categories & break in upgrade edge cases).

After all, applying upgrades seems more important than spring cleaning
and people get really confused if the app they use every day is removed
by apt – until they have enough time to figure out that its now just
called app2… but some of these users will never figure it out and hence
never upgrade out of fear.

Functionality to "rotate" away stuff like kernels (even more)
automatically is a good idea and there might be other things (my system
seems to accumulate gcc versions, database systems, too, …), but
intermixing this with transitional packages (= "oldlibs") I am not so
sure. And that isn't the "interesting" cruft: The stuff removed from the
archive with no direct upgrade path is far more dangerous in the
security and "cruft which might break future upgrades" department – and
for that stuff it is not really a good consideration if the package was
once manually installed to begin with…

I think for apt a "janitor" command looking at these things and
suggesting removes seems more beneficial. If the higher levels want to
perform some of these janitor tasks by default all power to them.
Perhaps even in apt we can do some of these janitor tasks in some
commands by default as well. I just think it seems better to introduce
new commands/options rather than to overload existing ones.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies