Re: APT Date verification

On Thu, Feb 08, 2018 at 09:05:50PM +0100, Philip Hands wrote:
> On Thu, 08 Feb 2018, Julian Andres Klode <jak@debian.org> wrote:
> > Hey guys,
> >
> > APT will shortly start validating that the Date field in a release
> > file is not (too far) in the future. This might have implications
> > for installing on devices with an inaccurate clock, as they might
> > now fail.
> >
> > There are two primary workarounds:
> >
> > * Set Acquire::Check-Date to false
> > * Set check-date sources.list option to false
>
> It is probably worth checking the system's current time to see if it is
> before the date that apt was built (or rather apt's SOURCE_DATE_EPOCH)
> and/or the date that the medium that is being booted was built (if
> that's available) or similar, to check if we're living in the past.

relevant IRC quote:

<juliank> Of course, we can also only enable that feature if the current time is beyond the APT release time.
<juliank> (the source epoch thingy)
<juliank> "Your clock is too far beyond, disabling verification of release file dates"
<weasel> eek

> If that's the case, these errors about future signatures are really not
> worth reporting.
>
> It might also be good to then try hard to get sensible time somehow, but
> that's not apt's problem to solve.  Perhaps the right thing to do in d-i
> is to check for being in the past, try to find a decent time source, and
> if that fails then set a flag that could be used to decide to disable
> the check when we come to running apt.

AFAIUI, d-i tries very early to get time via ntp. If it fails, it should
probably write a file and then set the check-date option to false.

ubuntu core developer                              i speak de, en