Re: Why is a package not autoremoved

Hi David,

thanks for your answer and sorry for the delay, I was traveling.

On Tue, Feb 28, 2017 at 07:45:14PM +0100, David Kalnischkies wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 26, 2017 at 06:34:09PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> > I cannot see any reason why linux-image-4.9.11-zgbpi-armmp-lpae should
> > not get autoremoved. I mean, it provides linux-image which dkms wants
> > to see, but linux-image is also provided by
> > linux-image-4.10.1-zgbpi-armmp-lpae, so
> > linux-image-4.9.11-zgbpi-armmp-lpae can safely go. Why does apt not
> > autoremove that one?
>
> apt comes with a small script run by kernel postinst to protect ~3
> (newest, currently running, installed now) from being autoremoved.
> This results in /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/01autoremove-kernels

Yes, I was aware of that. But my apt doesn't autoremove kernels after
they have moved out of the list of kernels protected by
01autoremove-kernels.

> apt/stretch has learned an exception to this: If multiple providers are
> produced by the same source package in different versions, apt will only
> protect the current providers from this source package.

I see. I'll revisit this issue after the stretch release then and
report back in case the phenomenon persists.

> In your case the best solution is probably to just drop the provides of
> "linux-image" as it was deprecated by Debian and nothing really depends
> on it anymore…

That would mean tweaking the scripts/package/builddep script in the
mainling kernel git. I'll try whether this actually helps.

> Slightly harder it may be to also not build from a versioned source
> package, but from "linux-mh" or so.

I'm building directly from mainline kernel git, using make deb-pkg. So
there is no formal "source package" in the game, unless you count the
temporary debian/ directory built by make deb-pkg as a source-package.

Greetings
Marc