Re: Question of if a contribution like this would be entertained?

On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:09:36PM +0100, Eric Curtin wrote:
> Would a contribution be entertained that enabled some packages to
> start installing while the packages are still being downloaded? It
> bugs me when I am waiting for a large package to download (say firefox
> or a bigger package), whilst in the meantime all the other packages
> could have been unpackages/installed/whatever.

Theoretically possible of course, in practice you will run in a lovely
stream of problems which make it questionable if the added complexity is
justified. For example: You need to get packages in a proper order, we
kinda do it already, but you need to be sure and block until everything
you need to unpack & configure this subset is downloaded otherwise bad
things happen (and that subset might very well involve hundreds of
packages, so you really have to design for it).

It also means that the download methods must be in a workable state
regardless of the rest of the system. A simple method which e.g calls
another program like ssh is no longer guarenteed to work for example as
openssh isn't an essential package. And even more complex methods like
https or tor+http depend on external libraries and services which might
or might not be in an operational state. Or simpler: Your entire network
connection might be brought down while the packages responsible for it
are upgraded.

If that wouldn't be enough already you have all sorts of user interface
problems as you have to intermix progress reporting with package
configuration asking questions, apt hooks like apt-listchanges become
useless [for people who use it as a confirmation step] and and and…

I don't want to discourage you from trying, but you are by far not the
first person to have this "simple" idea. Attempting this needs a good
plan, dedication to detail and a good grasp on what the two subsystems
you are trying to merge actually do – spoiler: They are pretty complex.
I would suggest picking much smaller projects first to get a feeling.
Rome wasn't built in a day.

Best regards

David Kalnischkies