Re: [Dose-devel] apt-cudf: unable to find a solution with an out-of-date chroot

On 11/05/16 13:01, Johannes Schauer wrote:
> According to David Kalnischkies, apt does not handle multiple actions for the
> same package name. If it sees them anyways (like above), then it will override
> earlier actions with later actions. So apt would read the above just as "remove
> gcc-5-base (= 5.3.1-17)" and ignores to install gcc-5-base (= 5.3.1-19).
[...]
> I see three ways to fix this problem:
>
>  1. Apt should not override earlier actions by later actions but allow that a
>     package be removed in one version to be installed in another version as
>     part of the same request.
>
>  2. Apt-cudf could not generate the "Remove" action at all in situations where
>     there is an "Install" action for the same package, thus not confusing apt.

What's about 2.a , listing all remove actions before the install
actions, so we won't effectively change the out-out of apt-cudf, but
apt-get won't get confused as only the action will be considered (as I
understand the problem is in the order in which actions are read by
apt-get). I admit this is a bit fragile and needs to be documented
properly as part of the specification.

thank you for the analysis josh.

David, let me know what you think is the best solution .