Re: please say what -y (--assume-yes) is supposed to do

Julian Andres Klode writes:

> assume-yes causes *APT* to run non-interactively, not dpkg. It means that any
> yes/no prompt *APT* shows will assume yes, except for the dangerous ones which
> require one of the --allow-{downgrades,unauthenticated,...} switches formerly
> known as --force-yes.
>
> should read something like:
>
> "[...] all <APT> prompts and run non-interactively (except for prompts from
> other parts like debconf)"

So the question is: should apt-listchanges be treated as an "other
part"? In my opinion: no. It is a plugin for APT, and it seems that
people are expecting it to honour apt options and its non-interactive
mode (see for example [1] or [2]).

That's why apt-listchanges has been handling the `-q' option for the
last 15 years (see bug#89511), and that's why I've recently added the
support for the `-y' option (bug#687443).

[1]
http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/47972/disable-apt-listchanges-and-other-interactive-stuff-during-upgrades-reliably
[2]
http://serverfault.com/questions/48724/100-non-interactive-debian-dist-upgrade