is there a way to force apt to download the item in the list one at a time ?

Hi all,
Please CC when answering as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Many a times I see something like this -

52% [58 Packages 93.3 kB/8,006 kB 1%] [44 Contents-source 28.7 MB/45.8
MB 63%] [60 Contents-amd64 20.5 MB/30.5 MB 67%] [55 Contents-source
17.0

because of which many a times I also see this -

Err:56 http://ftp.uni-kl.de/debian unstable/contrib Sources
  Hash Sum mismatch

Now while I don't know if parallel downloads are the cause of hash sum
mismatches or something else altogether, it would be nice if there was
a way to only download one file at a time for narrowband consumers
like me.

I do see this bit in the apt.conf but could not understand -

"       Queue-Mode
           Queuing mode; Queue-Mode can be one of host or access which
determines how APT parallelizes outgoing connections.  host means that
one connection per target host will be opened, access means that one
connection per URI type will be opened. "

Can somebody tell me if the following is a valid .config  to put up at
/etc/apt/apt.conf ?

APT
// Options for the downloading routines
Acquire
{
  Queue-Mode "host";       // host|access
}

For the record, I like PDiff's wherever possible and dunno if I have
to explicitly also put that or it's understood.

The above option is taken from /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/configure-index.gz

Look forward to learn.

--
          Regards,
          Shirish Agarwal  शिरीष अग्रवाल